Race Charter - Cowes Week
8 August 2020 - 15 August 2020
AOK EVENTS ARE PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE RACE CHARTER FOR COWES WEEK
• Maximum of 48 participants
• Cowes Week first took place in 1826. Sailing has moved gradually from the preserve of the wealthy to be an inclusive sport. Now over 1000 boats and 8500 competitors enter Cowes Week every year.
• Cowes Week like many ‘summer season’ events (Henley, Ascot, etc) retains something of the glamour of the early days. Uniquely with Cowes Week, you may charter a boat and actually take part!
• Much of the pleasure of Cowes Week is to be enjoyed ashore. Cowes is covered in marquees with a fantastic festival atmosphere. Live music, open air bars and many infamous balls make this a very strong social event.
• Usually there is with one race per day typically lasting between 2.5 – 4 .5 hours, depending on the tide and weather conditions.
• The Yacht you charter is crewed with a skipper and mate thus enabling a complement of complete novices to take full part in the racing.
• There is a range of race prepared boats available and we will find the best fit for your crew and budget.
• The precise sailing wardrobe and use of spinnakers will be at the skipper’s discretion according to conditions and range of crew experience.
• If staying overnight to soak up the social side, let us find accommodation and book the best social events. Inevitably many venues are ticket only which is where our expert local knowledge comes in.
• The key pointer for Cowes Week is book early!! With 186 years of history and well publicised dates, those in the know book early and enjoy the widest choice.
• Guests join by 08.15 for a ‘shakedown’ sail with plenty of relaxed tuition prior to the race starting. Guests can board the yacht in Hamble, or take the Red Jet from Southampton to Cowes and meet the yacht in Cowes.
• Breakfast will be served on arrival, usually after departing the berth. Lunch is also served on board along with afternoon tea after racing and a Pimms reception on returning to Hamble.
• There will be the option to brand your yacht with your logo on the hull and or sail. There is a range of sailing clothing that can be branded and give you a strong team identity.
• Post sailing it’s recommended to going ashore to soak up the atmosphere and enjoy being in the heart of regatta life.
• Your race entry gives you access to the beer tent area and we can pre book a dinner reservation to avoid the crowds of hungry sailors.
• The Red Jet terminal high speed offer ferry services every half an hour between Southampton and Cowes.
• Pre event planning and event management.
• Race prepared Coastguard coded yacht.
• Entry for Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week.
• Professional skipper and mate.
• Fuel and mooring fees.
• Wet weather gear together with life jackets.
• The catering includes:
o Pastries, tea, coffee and OJ on arrival.
o A delicious lunch (usually served on board).
o Energising snacks and chocolate.
o Cake for afternoon tea.
o Tea, coffee, water and soft drinks.
o Alcohol is not served during racing days
Health and Safety
• Participants will need a reasonable level of physical health rather than fitness. This event is unsuitable for those with knee, hip, back, neck or weight problems, and those who are pregnant.
• Participants are usually required to wear lifejackets whilst on the boats.
• Branded boats – yacht hulls, sails, flags, spray dodgers
• Branded clothing - jackets, polo shirts, caps etc.
• Drinks and catering ashore post racing
• Accommodation – hotel / crew house / B&B
• Coach and rail travel
Isle of wight
- Airport: Southampton, 13.19 miles
- Airport: Bournemouth, 23.79 miles